All of the crazy good crunch and flavour of a typical ‘Chinese Chopped Salad’ and then some! Creamy cashew butter stars as the secret ingredient in this good-enough-to-drink sesame ginger dressing.
I’ve been in a swirl of anxiety lately, and it has been an effort to keep my head above water, keeping a happy face while kicking furiously underneath. Do you ever feel like the things that bring you the most joy also bubble up the most stress and turmoil?
Things like going out with friends, taking photographs, and cooking which is supposed to be my outlet and release is turning into have-to’s and pangs of not feeling good enough.
On the positive side, weeks like this help you savour in the deliciousness of unadulterated happiness when you do stumble onto it.
Like nibbling the world’s best chocolate chip cookie at a cozy cafe. (currently)
Going to Sarah Britton’s book launch party– fingers crossed for treats!
Getting hooked on a new show with Peter- Life In Pieces is fuuuunny! (and a good antidote to all of that creepy Bates Motel I’ve been indulging)
…..And sesame ginger cashew butter dressing. Wow this stuff is good.
Last week my family was craving a bright and tangy salad to go along with a rich meal, and my mind went to the mighty clementine.
If you’ve ever fallen in love with a chopped ‘Chinese’ salad with sesame, crispy ramen noodles and the lot- this little beauty has your name on it.
ALL of the crunchy things you want + a super flavourful Asian dressing, smattered on a bed of shredded romaine and brussels sprouts.
We were fighting over scraps of generously-dressed leaves at the bottom of the bowl.
- 1 head of romaine, shredded
- 1 heaping cup brussels sprouts, ends removed, shredded
- 2 clementines or mandarine oranges, separated
- 3/4 cup toasted mixed nuts + seeds: I used shaved almonds, cashews, sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp goji berries
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2.5 tbsp grapeseed or olive oil
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange or clementine juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp cashew butter (tahini will work here too)
- In a small food processor or blender, add the garlic and ginger and pulse to chop finely. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend for 30-40 seconds until smooth and homogenous. Alternatively, finely chop the garlic and ginger and whisk thoroughly with the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, add the Brussels sprouts, romaine lettuce, clementines, toasted nuts and goji berries. Drizzle with the sesame ginger dressing and toss well to coat.
- Enjoy immediately.