Don’t hate me but I just slid quinoa into your breakfast routine like it was no big deal.
Let me explain.
Haveyouever had desolate containers of cooked quinoa lingering around in your fridge, just waiting for a creative exploit to unfold?
Last week an impromptu craving for apple pie at 7:55 before work led me to pull out all the stops to make make a grab and go breakfast that was not only indulgent but had some staying power.
Turns out those tiny pearls of cooked quinoa are actually an ideal blank canvas for sayyyyy juicy apples caramelized in butter, rich coconut palm sugar and cinnamon.
Dolloped with some greek yogurt (coconut or cashew would work great too) and you’re basically breaking fast with a parfait. (Thank me later, right???)
Like most reasonable weekday breakfasts, this beauty takes less than 5 minutes to whip up, provided you have some quinoa laying around (or the foresight to make it ahead of time)
Totally worth it.
It is #pieseason after all.
- 2 small apples, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 heaping tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 2 heaping tbsp coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 3-4 tbsp coconut/almond milk.
- 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut flake
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- 1/3 cup vanilla yogurt (greek, cashew, coconut)
- In a medium pot, add 1 tbsp coconut oil over medium heat and swirl to melt
- Add in apples stir to coat.
- Cook apples for about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender crisp and starting to brown.
- Stir in cinnamon and coconut palm sugar and cook until sugar has melted and apples have started to get caramel-y.
- Fold in the cooked quinoa and add coconut milk. Stir. Cook for 2 minutes longer and top with extra cinnamon to taste.
- In a separate pan, add walnuts and coconut flakes and cook over medium high heat for 3-4 minutes until coconut flake starts to brown and toast up.
- Serve quinoa topped with a dollop of yogurt and sprinkle with crunchy topping.