Happy December 1st! Have you dove into depths the Christmas cookie tin yet?
When I get into sprees of indulging (which is quite frequently actually, for a former nutrition nerd) nothing seems to offset the internal feeling of sludginess like a humungous pot of veggie-packed soup.
Better yet, a pot of soup with 4+ delicious servings that can feed you’re flannel-wearing self as you avoid the wrangle of Christmas shoppers.
So what’s the deal with this Mexican soup?
It’s rich, dark and flavourful, with spoonfuls of creamy black beans and ribbons of kale.
It’s light but filling. It’s healthy but absolutely a party in a bowl at the same time.
Did I mention the chili lime tortilla chips? Yeah, they are kind of ridiculous.
If you’ve never made your own corn chips prepare to experience the most satisfying crunch + flavour sincceeeee…3D Doritos. Remember those?
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 can black beans (540 ml)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 heaping cup of dino kale, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1.5 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 6 corn tortillas, sliced into wedges
- zest from one lime
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Avocado, cilantro, cotiija or feta cheese crumbles, green onions, greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large pot, add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the onions and jalapeño and cook onions 4-5 minutes until softened and lightly golden
- Stir in spices, black beans (and their liquid!), fire roasted tomatoes, vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Season with salt.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and transfer 2 cups of the soup into a blender. Blend until smooth and return to pot and stir to incorporate. Alternatively, use an immersion blender and blend about 1/4 of the soup.
- Meanwhile, on a large oil-coated baking sheet, add the corn tortilla wedges. Sprinkle with lime zest, chili powder and a generous shower of salt. Toss to coat with your hands so everything is covered. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown, stirring every so often.
- Serve the tortilla soup with garnish of your choice. I will point out its almost VITAL to enjoy with a crumble of feta and a heaping crunch of chilli lime nacho chips 🙂