Spicy and sweet, this sticky Harissa glaze is a gorgeous rub for oven roasted carrots and veggies alike! Roasted Hazelnuts, feta cheese and parsley add a hit of richness that you will probably want to sprinkle everywhere.
Hi Monday! You look quite dreadful but I’ll forgive you for that!
How was everyones weekend? On Sunday I noted to Peter that we had hit a weekend record for # of folk socialized with in a two day span.
We saw my friends, his friends, his cousin for a last minute party we threw on Friday (There wasn’t even snacks, gutless I know) His parents on Saturday and mine came to Toronto on Sunday to take us out for breakfast at the Drake—-> P.S they make amazing Shakshuka.
…and Caesars, (not that I would know)
Pretty crazy for anti social folk most likely found eating poutine + watching modern family on a Saturday, right?
Taking mental note of the extra fluff around our waists, we (slash I) decided to eat a little healthier this week. The easiest way I have found to create quick, healthy and delicious foods is with this equation:
Protein packed grain +
fibre-rich vegetables +
flavourful sauce +
crunchy topping = yessssss
These harissa roasted carrots follow that delicious equation, filling up your bowl with delicious fibre and nutrient rich veg. I paired them here with a luxurious sprinkle of goats feta, roasted hazelnuts and herbs, which takes them to the very next level of awesome.
You can totally customize the sprinkle based on what herbs + nuts you have in house too.
Cilantro and almond? yup
Basil and pepita? K now I’m jealous!
- 1 lb Carrots, scrubbed, skins on (I used mini heirloom but any would work!)
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 3/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Place carrots in a large pot of water and season with salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes, until just tender. Drain.
- While the carrots are simmering, combine harissa paste, maple syrup, garlic, cumin, lemon juice and olive oil in a small bowl. Season with salt.
- Toss carrots with 3/4 of the harissa mixture and spread out on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 min (depending on size of carrot) until carrots are slightly caramelized. While still warm, toss carrots in remaining harissa sauce.
- While the carrots are roasting, combine the roasted hazelnuts, parsley, feta cheese and ground pepper in a small bowl.
- Serve the carrots as a side, or on a bed of grains with a sprinkle of the herb feta crumble overtop.