Restaurant-worthy GRILLED pizza. Sound intimidating?
I’ll admit the first crack at it was shaky, I had mushrooms slipping through cracks of the grill and broke a major sweat in the blazing sun trying to get the perfect melty-cheese to crispy topping ratio.
Despite a few tasty “failures” along the way, biting into the perfectly charred, flavourful, umami-packed, salt-flecked mushroom pizza made it so worth it.
Because here is the thing about homemade pizza: YOU control the amount of cheese. No disappointing $19 half-hearted mozzarella sprinkle for you (Mind-blowing, I know).
When you get the hang of it (and have proper instructions) grilled pizza is extremely fun and satisfying to make. You get to be outside, drinking something fizzy and watching the whole thing unfold over an open flame. Once your toppings are prepped and ready, the whole thing takes less than 10 minutes, and you’re diving into a restaurant-worthy pie.
This mushroom and gorgonzola rendition was inspired by the combo. we get at Pizza Libretto in Toronto at least twice a month since Peter and I have met. We dig it.
This homemade grilled version was so good Peter said we’d never go back to Libretto again. (Except on lazy no-cook days which is definitely a thing around here)
Grilled White Pizza w/ Mushrooms, Thyme & Gorgonzola
- 1 lb pizza dough, divided into 2 balls
- 400 g mixed mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1.5 cup mozarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan reggiano
- 1/3 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced as thinly as possible
- 3-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- Cook mushrooms and shallots: In a large pan, heat a generous drizzle of oil over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and shallots. Cook for 5 min, tossing occasionally. Add sliced garlic and cook for another 3-4 min, until mushrooms are golden and glistening and shallots are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill to high heat. Brush with oil.
- Stretch dough balls into 2 pizza-shaped disks. Round, square or rustic all work! Transfer to a couple of lightly floured baking sheets.
- Carefully transfer dough disks directly to the greased grill. Close the lid and cook for 2-4 min, until grill marks form on the bottom.
- With a pair of tongs, flip pizza dough and cook the other side for another 2-4 min, until grill marks form. Use tongs to remove dough from grill.
- Add par-cooked dough back to the baking sheet. Brush top of pizza dough with olive oil. Top with mozzarella, mushroom and shallot mixture. Crumble over gorgonzola. Sprinkle over thyme leaves.
- Slide pizza directly onto grill, close the grill and cook for 3-5 min, until the cheese is melted and the crust is cooked to your liking. Transfer with tongs back onto the baking sheet for easy removal.
- Serve pizza with cracked black pepper, flaky sea salt and chli flakes over to taste.