Protein-packed chickpeas are the star in this Greek-inspired salad that comes together in minutes + is conveniently delicious after marinating in the fridge. The perfect picnic or work lunch companion!
HELLO from the other side of Easter, or as I experienced, wine, cheese + chocolate-athon with family.
No complaints there! Having 3 days off, where real life problems take a back seat, and perfecting the perfect mashed potatoes takes priority, is COOL with me. Peter and I finally made it up to Midland to visit his family where we were welcomed with not 1 but 2 Easter dinners back-to-back, with never ending courses of Polish-inspired eats. Lidia (Peter’s Mom) makes it look way to easy, tending to the oven casually while she pumps out 2 types of soups, pastas, pirogies, potatoes and fish.
The next day we took part in typical Youngson family activities; biking in the rain and wind, for as long as MY over achieving Mum could get away with (before my backside could take that tiny bike seat no’ mo’).
THIS simple + gratifying Greek salad comes to you at a time where Im thinking you may be low key craving greens, crunchy things and refreshment. (or at least trying to nudge your body in that direction)
If you thought you liked the tang and crunch of a Greek salad before…imagine the heaven of a deliciously marinated chickpea salad conveniently waiting for you in the fridge on a given Tuesday.
Red bell pepper, tomatoes & mini cucumber
These sturdy veggies provide crunch and flavour, without watering down the flavour or soggying up the salad (hello make ahead meal!)
Key in any decent Greek salad, gets a bath of fresh lemon juice before joining the rest of the salad ingredients. This simple step dulls the sharp bite of red onion, improving the overall flavour of the salad.
Lemony Dill Vinaigrette
This dressing gets its tang from the classic combination of red wine vinegar and lemon. The finely chopped garlic and dill take it up a couple notches, from diner vibes to dinner party.
Well my dears, open up a can of chickpeas, whisk up the zingy lemony dill dressing and you’re already half way there.
Let me know what you think in the comments!
- 1 can chickpeas (390 ml)
- 1 red bell pepper, small diced
- 1 mini cucumber, small diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup moroccan sun-dried olives/kalamata olives
- Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, finely minced
- salt and black pepper
- In a medium bowl, add the sliced onions and the lemon juice. Set aside while you prepare the rest of your ingredients.Strain before using.
- In another medium bowl, add the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, garlic, olive oil, and dill. Season with salt and pepper, whisk well to combine.
- In a large bowl add the chickpeas, red bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, olives, parsley, and red onion. Pour the lemony dill dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy right away at room temperature. Can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days.