4 ingredients + less than 20 minutes to whizz up these moist and flavourful lentil meatballs! I paired their meaty texture and savoury vibes with some creamy, cheesy, polenta for the ultimate night-in noshing.
Grab your favourite sauce and dig in to this tasty weeknight meal!
Guys, I made you the easiest lentil meatballs, and you’re going to want to put them in everything!
Twirly tomato pasta? Duh
Cheesy meatball subs? Yup, that’s next.
These balls of glory (sorry) are a testament to how ridic the past couple of weeks have been. Lately idea of coming home from work and grocery shopping, testing recipes after spending the day at work grocery shopping, and testing recipes, is sometimes…exhausting?
But isn’t that the case for a lot of us?
We run around kicking ass all day but still want to make the most of your slice of the evening. Play with your dogs. Feed your loved ones healthy food. Catch up on library books.
So being able to streamline simple, delicious + nourishing recipes like this, well, is my jam.
You’ll probably notice I the recipe calls for a store bought OR homemade tomato sauce for this bad boy.
Mostly cause, the balls are so speedy, the polenta comes together in 5 minutes, and I don’t want you hangin’ by the stove all night. Pick your battles, K?
Plus, I’d like to think these baked lentil meatballs pretty much shine on their own.
- 1 1/4 cups cooked brown lentils
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chia seed + 2 tbsp water
- Spice Mix: 1/4 tsp all spice, 1/2 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast or 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter/earth balance (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Cups Tomato Sauce, homemade or store bought
- Fresh basil
- Parmesan cheese, Vegan Nut Parm, Extra Nutritional Yeast, Chili Flakes
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Add the chia seed and the water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add 1 tsp of olive oil to a medium pan over medium high. Add the chopped shallot and cook for 3-4 min until starting to get golden.
- In a food processor, add the cooked brown lentils, the shallot, the chia and water mixture, and the spice blend. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pulse until crumbly,
- Form 8-10 balls and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 13-15 minute until the balls are firm on the outside and starting to brown on the bottom.
- Meanwhile, add 4 cups of water to a medium pot over medium high heat. When it comes to a boil, add 1/2 tsp of salt. Reduce the heat to medium low and whisk in the cornmeal in slowly. Cook the polenta for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and nutritional yeast. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the cheesy polenta with the lentil meatballs overtop. Spoon with your favourite tomato sauce!