Theres a chance you grew up swiping rippled chips into a gratuitously onion-y dip with the name of “helluva”.
Theres a chance you still look longingly at said dip when you pass it in the dairy-ish aisle.
I’m not terribly fond of the ingredients Mr. Helluva uses, but I can definitely party with a swipe of the creamy dip on: chips, roasted potatoes, raw veggies and all-things-summer bbq.
This 3-ingredient charred green onion dip brings the decadence and depth of flavour of deliciously caramelized onions with 2 simple tricks- charred green onion and roasted garlic! Has there every been a more perfect thing than roasted garlic? Swirl it in something creamy and it can transform even the humblest of veggies.
This dip is ideal for plating up crudités real quick when friends drop by without much notice. You can plan for a lot of ‘ooohs’ and ‘whats in this?’ when you show it off with whatever knobbly veggies you have in your drawer.
Make it the night before and sit back knowing it’s only going to get groovier overnight.
- 1 head of garlic (top of the head sliced off exposing the cloves)
- 8 spring onions, trimmed
- 250 ml full fat goat milk sour cream (or regular cows milk)
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Make a foil packet enclosing the prepared garlic head. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of oil and close tightly. Add to a baking sheet (to catch any spilly oil that might occur) and roast for 30-40 minutes, until the garlic is squishy and soft. Set aside to cool until you can handle it.
- Meanwhile, cut the spring onions in half and generously season. In a large pan, heat a thin layer of oil over high heat until just about smoking. Add the spring onions and cook for 4-6 min per side, until charred on all sides. Set aside to cool and then roughly chop.
- In a food processor or blender, add the sour cream, charred spring onions and squeeze the roasted garlic. Blend until creamy and combined, and the spring onions are fully dispersed but you can still see large flecks. Drizzle with any remaining oil that got stuck in the foil packet. Season with salt and pepper or lemon juice as you like. Serve right away with fresh veggies, crackers or pitas.
This can be made ahead and refrigerated.