Asparagus doesn’t really need our help to be the superhero. It’s gorgeous lean stalks please even the most discerning palate, a reliable sidekick in meals Easter through August.
But if we’re going to be knocking back green spears for the next few months, why not give them every chance to be wonderful, with a confetti coat of toasted almonds, parmesan and lemon.
Inviting you to party it up with these addictive-as-hell asparagus next time you cook for pals, or just feel like putting back a tray of asparagus (like me, right now).
When you cook them, you’ll know.
- 1 lb asparagus, woody ends removed
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 tbsp olive oil, melted butter or ghee
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Prepare a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread out the asparagus.
- While the oven preheats, finely chop the garlic and almonds, until they are fine and crumbly. Add to a small bowl and mix in the parmesan cheese and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper. (for quick chop, you can use a food processor)
- Drizzle 1 tbsp of olive oil/melted butter over the asparagus and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly in the oil.
- Now sprinkle the crumbly mix, using your hands to coat every inch of the asparagus. There will be some extra topping and thats ok, load it on the sheet as well.
- Roast for 12-14 min, depending on the asparagus size, until just tender.
- Serve the asparagus with the extra pan-crumble sprinkled over. Squeeze lemon juice over right before serving. Enjoy right away.