Hi Friends! All food fads of rainbow, unicorn smoothie swirls, and avocado toast aside, I am confident this colourful poke bowl is in it for the long haul.
Exhibit A: Chilled noodles cloaked in sesame lime sauce. Not such a crazy idea. Salty, nutty, umami with a lingering of lime. Load it up with your favourite crunchy/salty/spicy toppings and you are in texture town.
The other magic of this bowl is it somehow eats restauarant-y. Meeting up with a good friend for paleo bowls restaurant-y.
“I don’t mind spending $8 for this superfood elixer” restaurant-y.
And put together. Like that week you finally work out 3 days in a row before making ‘I’m busy’ excuses.
I’m rambling now, so perhaps it is best we just commence with the method of how to get this thing in your bowl.
- 1 bundle of rice noodles (or any noodles really)
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into small chunks
- 1 avocado
- juice from 1/2 a lime
- pickled beets, to taste
- watermelon radishes, sliced, to taste
- sea salt and pepper.
- 1 tsp togarashi (chili flakes work fine)
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1-inch piece of ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tsp garlic-chili sauce/sriracha
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Add the sweet potatoes to a parchment lined baking sheet and drizzle with oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Roast for 15-17 min, until crisp and starting to blacken.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the rice noodles and cook for 3-5 min (or per directions!) Strain well and drizzle with 1 tsp of sesame oil. Set aside until read to build the bowl.
- For the sesame lime dressing, add all of the ingredients to a jar and shake well. Or add to a bowl and whisk. Add more hot sauce or lime as you like.
- Scoop out the avocado and add to a small bowl. Squeeze juice from 1/2 the lime and season with salt.
- To serve: plate the noodles and top with the sweet potatoes, avocado mash, beets and radishes. Sprinkle generously with the crunchy sprinkle. Drizzle the sesame lime sauce and toss to coat.