Homemade spinach-basil pesto sets the foundation for this flavourful spring pizza. Shreds of asiago cheese, ribbons of zucchini and goats cheese sprinkled on top make this speedy naan bread pie dangerously good.
Hey Saturday, we made it!
You know I must love you, cause I made you pizza.
I mean I know everyone loves pizza, it’s a thing. There’s 🍕 sweatshirts, pizza gangs and #pizzalife tattoos out there. But I really, really have a crush on the pie.
…But we didn’t always get along so swimmingly. Pre nutrition school days, pre ‘finding my balance’, pre bOdy ConFidEnce, I loved pizza so much I hated it.
In fact I went almost 2 years not touching the stuff for fear of its ‘nutritionally lacklustre’ profile. I can remember one time after months of severe dieting I was feeling really trim and confident in my frail frame. I went to a party where there were stacks of the cheesy pie’s lined up. By the end of the night, inhibitions were lost along with any ability to keep my prized discipline going. That little dieter binged on more pizza than her shrunken belly had ever seen.
That was one of many wakeup calls that a girls gotta find balance and find a way to make peace with her carb-loving self. ❤️
And you could say this pizza is a shout out to that.
Halfway to healthy, this springy pizza gets flavour from a generous spread of spinach and basil pesto, zucchini ribbons and creamy blobs of goats cheese. Hello moderation!
Pluuuuus I made them on nifty little naan breads that
A) Crisp up in 8 minutes and require no kneading or yeasty experiments
B) Make convenient ‘personal’ sized za’s that you can’t go overboard with. (not that I would know)
- 2 naan breads
- 1 green zucchini, shaved into ribbons with a y-peeler
- 50 g goat cheese (about half a small pack), crumbled
- 50 g shredded asiago cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup marinated artichokes
- 1 green/yellow heirloom tomato
- 3/4 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup roasted almonds (pepitas or sunflower seeds work here too!)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (optional but a nice kick)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- Make the pesto by combining all of the ingredients in a food processor and blender and pulse until creamy and smooth.
- Use a spoon or spatula to spread the naan breads with a hearty serving of pesto. Sprinkle with the shredded asiago cheese. Top with the zucchini, tomato and goats cheese. Add extra dabs of pesto if you like!
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake the pizzas for 7 to 10 min, until the bottom is crisp and the cheese has melted.