Sticky soy glaze coats crispy tofu pieces nestled in this bahn-mi inspired buddha bowl with perfectly-tart pickled veg and a creamy toasted sesame dressing.
Guys! Welcome to my new favourite bowl recipe of 2017! She’s spicy, she’s sweet and she’s creamy! Like a bahn mi bowl should.
Kicking off family day weekend here in Ontario, so naturally I didn’t waste any time rushing back to Hamilton for the parents, (free) food and wine, puppy dog hugs, and wide open spaces.
I know I’ve been complaining a lot about winter and seasonal affective grumpiness lately but this weekend feels like a splash of cool water….or drink of cool water?? Whatever the expression is. Maybe it’s the extra day off to sleep in and cook in my robe, or maybe it’s the 20 degree jump in temperature, but I’m scowling at a lot less strangers.
And who wouldn’t be happy with sticky soy glaze in their life? Smothered on crispy fried tofu. In a bowl with warm rice, tart and crunchy vegetables and a smothering of toasted sesame tahini.
That’s right I said smothering.
And that smooth, buttery flavour is everything a spicy, sweet and tangy bowl wants to drink up.
- 1/2 block extra firm tofu (250 g) cut into thin slices
- 3 tbsp soy sauce/tamari
- 1 tbsp honey (or agave if vegan)
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1.5 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp tamari
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp warm water to thin
- 1 large carrot, peeled into ribbons with a y peeler, or sliced thinly
- 2 mini cucumbers, thinly sliced into half moons
- 3-5 radishes, sliced thinly
- 1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar/white vinegar
- 1 tsp honey/agave nectar
- pinch salt
- choice of rice (I used sticky) brown rice, quinoa, basmati, white.
- Sesame seeds + hot sauce
- Start by making your quick pickles. In a sealable container add 1 cup of warm water, vinegar, salt and honey and whisk to combine. Add in the vegetables you are pickling, close tightly with the lid and shake to coat. Place in your fridge until ready to use (can be made ahead)
- Cut the tofu into 1/4 inch thin slices and use a paper towel to press down and absorb as much of the water as possible.In a large pan add 2 tbsp of cooking oil and swirl to coat. Let the pan heat up to a point where its extremely hot but not smoking. Place the tofu onto the pan and fry for 5 min per side, until a golden brown crust forms.
- While the tofu is frying, mix the sticky soy sauce ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl mix the tahini, toasted sesame oil, tamari, garlic, and maple syrup. Whisk in the water until smooth and the consistency is to your liking.
- When the tofu is crispy and brown, remove the pan from the heat. While still hot, drizzle 3/4 of the sticky soy sauce overtop of the tofu. Toss the pan to coat and let the sauce sizzle and cover the tofu. Remove the tofu from the pan.
- Plate your warm grain of choice topped with the quick pickles and the sticky soy tofu. Drizzle the rice and veggies with the remaining sticky soy sauce. Serve with a drizzle of toasted sesame tahini and extra sesame seeds.